Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) is a small country with a population of about four million people. It is located in the center of the Balkan Peninsula and was formerly a part of Yugoslavia. The country got its name from two historical regions and the Bosna River. It is a predominantly mountainous country that is known for many thermal spas. Since the 14th century, Bosnia has fallen under the Ottoman Empire’s rule and remained under the Turkish occupation for four centuries.
Many local women look like models. At the same time, it is believed that there is only one man for every seven Bosnian women. Indeed, many men died during the hostilities or left the country due to economic hardships.
Bosnia is known for stunning and mysterious women of a predominantly Slavic type. Many local women look like models. At the same time, it is believed that there is only one man for every seven Bosnian women. Indeed, many men died during the hostilities or left the country due to economic hardships. Contemporary Bosnian brides are also eager to marry foreign men and leave their country for good.
Determining Bosnian Women
The first and most vivid impression of all visitors to this country is always about local women. All foreigners unanimously agree that Bosnian women are beautiful and attractive. Indeed, these females treat their appearance with particular trepidation. It is not just about personal care and a pleasant manner of dressing, but also their gait, body language, and behavior. In Bosnia, every woman always tries to look in the best way, as if she is competing with other females.
Bosnian girls and women are predominantly fair-skinned, tall, and thin brunettes. The mesmerizing nature of Balkan women with their dark silky hair, olive skin, expressive black eyes, and a sincere smile cannot leave any man indifferent like Moldovan, Turkish, or Belarus. Bosnian women follow the latest makeup and fashion trends. They are always turned on by what they hear. So, they expect from their men kind words about their beauty, elegance, and gentleness.
Characteristics of Bosnian Ladies
In Bosnia and Herzegovina, a proverb says: “Smile opens a golden gate.” Indeed, Bosnian women are often smiling and joking. They love to have fun, sing, and dance. These women are very welcoming, friendly, and open-minded. They love to spend time with friends and relatives. So, be prepared to listen to her long phone calls for hours. Most Bosnian brides have an extraordinary sense of humor and an optimistic outlook on life.
In Bosnia and Herzegovina, a proverb says: “Smile opens a golden gate.” Indeed, Bosnian women are often smiling and joking. They love to have fun, sing, and dance.
Hospitality is of great importance for Bosnian women. According to tradition, a person first invited to the house has to bring a small symbolic gift, such as a box of sweets, a bouquet with an odd number of flowers, or a wine bottle. In Bosnia, the family and friendship links are strong. Local women maintain close ties with many friends, relatives, and even neighbors. Also, they often believe in different omens. Thus, many Bosnian women wear talismans designed to protect them from an evil eye, envy, and bad lack.
Several Words about Their Personality
Women in Bosnia, especially Muslims, are very family-oriented. These women have advanced cooking skills and can prepare a wide variety of delicious national and traditional dishes. Therefore, these women are highly respected in society, especially in large and friendly families. Bosnian men often assume the dominance of their wives and can jokingly arrange a competition in their circle of who is more afraid of their wife.
Contemporary Bosnian women work in many areas, but domestic life is often patriarchal and divided into gender roles.
Contemporary Bosnian women work in many areas, but domestic life is often patriarchal and divided into gender roles. A working woman usually cleans the house and cooks while her husband rests after work. In younger families, men and women tend to manage the household together, but traditional gender roles are still significant. Interreligious and interethnic marriages have also become widespread in large cities.
The Most Popular Stereotypes about Bosnian Women
Many people have prejudices about Bosnia and Herzegovina. Here, there are some of the stereotypes that are not true.
- All Bosnian Women Are the Same. Bosnia is the predominantly Muslim part of the country, while Herzegovina is the southern and smaller region with a mixed population. Bosnian Muslims (Bosniaks) are ethnic Slavs, Bosnian Croats are mostly Catholics, and Bosnian Serbs are Orthodox. The country is also home to Sephardi and Ashkenazi Jews who came here a long time ago. Representatives of more than 20 nationalities live side by side in Prnjavor, the town found in the country’s north. The annual Little Europe Festival is held here in July.
- Bosnia Is a Dangerous Country.The international armed conflict took place in Bosnia between 1992 and 1995. About 100 thousand people died during that war. The exact number of victims of this interethnic and interfaith conflict has not yet been established due to the huge number of missing persons. According to the Dayton Peace Treaty (1995), Bosnia and Herzegovina became a Confederation consisting of two independent parts. Since that time, Bosnia has become a peaceful, calm, and safe country.
- Bosnian Women Are Compliant and Agreeable. In fact, Bosnian women can be very stubborn and wayward. So, do not be fooled by their attractive looks and charm. These women usually have their own opinions on any issue. They are accustomed to act in their way and not back down. In their opinion, a man should adapt to them and find a compromise. Trying to take leadership and make decisions for your girlfriend, even if it is in her best interest from your point of view, is unlikely to be accepted positively.
In this country, people do not pay too much attention to personal space. Too much personal space can be viewed as a kind of distrust or an arrogant way of dealing with people. Bosnian women can be straightforward and outspoken. They are able to express their opinions and feelings openly. In this way, your girlfriend can ask personal questions such as “Are you married?”, “Do you have children?”, “How do you make a living?” etc. Nevertheless, manifestations of any intolerance based on religion or nationality are not accepted in Bosnia.
In this country, people do not pay too much attention to personal space. Too much personal space can be viewed as a kind of distrust or an arrogant way of dealing with people. Bosnian women can be straightforward and outspoken.
Top 5 Tips You Should Know Before Dating Bosnian Woman
- Be a respectable and gallant gentleman. You should be polite, attentive, and caring with your Bosnian girl. Bosnia and Herzegovina is a developing country. Since early childhood, Bosnian girls have not seen many sweets and expensive clothes. Thus, your Bosnian girl will highly appreciate your generosity. Flowers, candies, and little gifts will surely make her feel happy and appreciated.
- Beware controversial topics. Curiosity often makes Bosnian women overly straightforward when they meet newcomers. When chatting with a Bosnian girl for marriage, you should not tell overemphatic comments about religions, nationalities, and previous hostilities. Humor is always welcome, but little jokes about marriage, mothers-in-law, and politicians are socially acceptable.
- Pay attention to personal contact. Touching is very uncommon when meeting a Bosnian woman for the first time. A certain level of distance should be kept between a barely knowing each other people, especially at the beginning of relationships. When greeting, men and women can shake hands in Bosnia. Friends, old acquaintances, and lovers are more likely to hug and kiss each other on the cheek. Bosniaks and Croats kiss twice, Serbs — three times.
- Find a common language with her. Usually, young Bosnian women who live in big cities speak English quite well. Bosnia has three official languages — Serbian, Bosnian, and Croatian. Young women from little towns and villages are not likely to speak other European languages. Thus, the language boundary can turn into an inconvenience that keeps you from communicating freely.
- Respect her family. Bosnian girls are usually raised in a Muslim family. So, you should treat her parents with the most profound respect. The opinion of her parents always means a lot to these women. If your relationships are serious, think about making her father and mother like you and be sure that you will make their daughter happy. Your readiness to start a large family will also be welcomed.
What Mistakes Should You Avoid?
Do Not Make Your First Date with Your Bosnian Girl Too Intimate
The first date can be a challenge for both of you, and the first impression matters. Choose a quiet café or restaurant in a crowded quarter and avoid awkward moments and excessive tension. Make her feel at ease and relaxed for informal communication.
Do Not Hold Her with You for Long
On the first date, it is better to set a time limit. Some coffee with a dessert might be enough for your first meeting. You have not insist on the continuation of gating since it may sound pressing. These young women respect the adopted dating culture, and they do not rush to move to the next level of relationships.
Do Not Tell Her a Lie
Bosnian girls are smart and insightful. They hate any lie, fakeness, and apparent exaggerations. Howbeit, you should be honest with your girl since the truth will come out later. If you cannot tell the truth at the moment, it is better to remain silent or reply evasively.
How to Meet a Bosnian Woman?
The capital city Sarajevo is famous for ancient architectural monuments, castles, and bridges. Bosnia and Herzegovina is a fantastic country inhabited by extremely hospitable people. Although many Bosnian girls want to meet and marry a non-Bosnian man, you can have difficulties getting acquainted with a Bosnian girl you liked just walking around the capital city. These girls are reluctant to meet a foreigner on the street and hold a conversation until they know this person better.
Although many Bosnian girls want to meet and marry a non-Bosnian man, you can have difficulties getting acquainted with a Bosnian girl you liked just walking around the capital city.
If you visit this country for the first time, you need to prepare in advance or have a local guide to show you a suitable public spot for meeting Bosnian singles. If you are alone in Sarajevo, you can take your chances of meeting local girls in such shopping centers as:
- Alta Shopping Center (Franca Lehara, 2);
- BBI Center (Trg Djece Sarajeva, 1);
- Grand Centar Shopping Mall (Butmirska cesta, 14);
- Sarajevo City Center (Vrbanja,1).
In the Old Town of the capital, you can find many suitable nightlife spots to meet single and beautiful Bosnian women. Here is a quick list of cozy bars and vibrant nightclubs where local chicks love to spend time in anticipation of meeting handsome and nice guys:
- Shelter Pub (Strossmayerova, 3);
- Silver & Smoke Club (Zelenih Beretki, 12);
- Underground Club (Maršala Tita, 56);
- Zlatna Ribica (Kaptol, 5).
Is Online Dating Popular among Bosnian Girls?
Like other European young women, hot Bosnian girls like to meet and talk with foreigners. You will make sure that these mail order brides are open-minded, cheerful, and witty. You can try AimerWorld, LoveHabibi, LoveAwake, Mingle2, and many other dating platforms. Browse some nice profile pictures of beautiful Italian girls and Dominican women on them. However, be ready to talk and exchange messages with dozens of ladies before you could find your love and life partner.
The Final Thoughts on Dating Bosnian Women
You are well able to meet a single and beautiful Bosnian girl and become the luckiest man on earth with her. These women understand well what the war is. Therefore, they know how to appreciate life. Meeting a gorgeous, faithful, and sexy Bosnian woman can change your life forever.
Melanie is an International Dating Expert at Women and Travel. She provides tips for success in the world of international dating. Her articles cover destinations all over the globe and give first-hand reports on seducing foreign women from all over the world. Her passions are wine, plants, art, travel, animals & writing.